In February this year, Deakin University Library implemented EBSCO Discovery Service, a web scale discovery system, as its default search. The launch was the culmination of months of work which saw Library staff collaborate with EBSCO technical staff to present a highly customised version of the interface.
Our implementation of EDS is interesting because it highlights:
- the customisation that was required in order for the interface to meet user needs
- the value in recruiting staff that have a range of technical skills and abilities, so that the customisation at this level can be achieved
- the challenge of providing a single interface to a variety of user groups (and keeping everyone happy)
- the Library’s role in effecting user search behaviour in the digital age
- the importance of communication and user ‘buy in’ when implementing a new service
Michelle Watson and Kayne Richens